Monday, August 9, 2010

Anne Rice still makes sense to me.

Some time around 1993, I read Anne Rice's novel The Tale of the Body Thief in mass market paperback. I was about 16 I guess. Before that, I had only listened to Interview with the Vampire on cassette (yes, cassette) from our local library. After that, I read and listened to more of her work and loved reading articles about her and watching her interviews. She had some really smart things to say. Recently, I read this on the LA Times site. If this isn't a good point, then what is?
The author Anne Rice, best known for her vampire novels, made waves last week when she declared on her Facebook page that she had "quit being a Christian." Twelve years after her return to Catholicism, Rice said she still believed in God, but that, "In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life."

No comments: