Friday, November 14, 2008

Holiday Crafting

This year, most of the holiday crafting will be done by Enid, but I am so ready to wrap gifts!

Here's a photo Enid's Advent Calendar. The box was super dirt cheap on clearance last year, and I just decorated it pretty simply... mostly with papers it came with. You can see I had to get Jack Skellington in there somewhere. I'm going to fill the drawers with small candies and some little "coupons" for larger things I bought for next to nothing... a peg game, foamies, antlers, a little snow globe, etc.

The word "advent" derives from Latin and means "a coming toward".  (Of course Enid's calendar will bypass Winter Solstice/Yule and work its way to Christmas.)  In ancient pagan times, Advent was a time of death in nature. Yule is the time of greatest darkness and the longest night of the year. Light and darkness are fighting, and people in ancient times didn’t know when the sun would return again. "The Winter Solstice had been associated with the birth of a "Divine King" long before the rise of Christianity. Since the Sun is considered to represent the Male Divinity in many Pagan Traditions, this time is celebrated as the "return of the Sun God" where He is reborn of the Goddess." (from WitchVox)

2 comments:

Tammy said...

OMG, I love it!!! Is it by MM, or is it a wooden box? Either way, it's great!

WendyZ said...

Yeah, it's the MM box. It was super cheap on clearance last year... I think at Target!